The drive speed test tool can be used to measure the real time read and write speed (performance) of hard disks, solid state disks (SSD), SD and MMC / CF cards, USB thumb drives, external hard disks and network shares. The test is performed using the computer operating systems interface (API) so that the results express the real speeds that you can expect from the device in *YOUR* current setup and not those that the device might technically be able to achieve.
The Drive Speed Test Tool 3 (DSTT3) is the successor of the „Hard Disk Drive Speed Test Tool 1 and 2“ which have been available on http://www.oette.info for over a decade! The DSTT3 requires the .NET framework 4.0 to be installed on your computer. If you have any of my other tools or a modern PC running Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 you will have it already installed. If not, you can download it here for free.
The tool generates a chart and an in detail test protocol for each test that can be saved as a file for later use. I supply some example test results so that you can compare your devices to others.
Also we have a user contributed online database.
Download version 3.2:
- Serial / Multiple / Mixed IO Tests
- Online Performance Database
- During write / read test the tool waits for the destination drive to complete writing (empty the write queue) so that the test results will be as exact as possible.
- Added a chart to visualize write / read speeds.
- Added two buttons to export the test results and the chart files.
- Added automatic test setup.
- Added refresh option to drives list.
- Added drive information to drive list.
- Only drives with media are shown.
- Complete rewrite in C#.